Temporary visitor restrictions in effect, as of 8 pm April 4, 2021.
Unfortunately, QCH must close its doors to visitors temporarily, except for compassionate reasons and those who require care partners (such as mothers giving birth). We hope to return to normal as quickly as possible. We want to do everything possible to protect the patients in our care, but we also want to see visitors return as soon as it is safe to do so because they are an important part of a patient's experience and healing process.
Visiting at QCH: what you need to know
QCH allows visits from identified care partners for our patients. Please know that your loved one is in good hands – we take their safety and care very seriously here at Queensway Carleton Hospital.
Here is what you need to know about visiting your loved one at QCH:
- You must wear a mask at all times during your visit. You will be given a medical mask during screening.
- You will be asked to leave the building if you refuse to wear a mask at any time during the visit.
- Visitors must not have any symptoms of COVID-19 and must pass screening before being allowed entry.
- To ensure proper physical distancing and safety, we must limit the number of visitors per unit.
- Visits may last up to one hour, provided they are tolerated by the patient.
- Your visit must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance - and no unscheduled drop-ins are allowed.
- We will contact each visitor to schedule their visit date and time.
- Visits will be scheduled between the hours of 2:00 to 9:00 pm for one hour, on weekdays and weekends.
- Please arrive for your visit no earlier than 10 minutes prior to your scheduled time.
Visitors are welcome at the Fairfield Inn. In addition to the requirements above, please read the following:
- Visits will be once per week for up to one hour, for the patients who can tolerate them.
- Visits will take place in the lobby, with proper physical distancing set up.
- Visitors will need to have a negative swab completed and show those results to the staff, in alignment with long-term care home and retirement home practices.
Be assured that we will continue to deliver excellent care to your loved one and that we are following the advice of the experts to do everything we can to keep our patients and our healthcare providers safe, and to be available for you if you require acute care in our hospital.
Essential caregivers are individuals who are not staff who must be present to provide essential care to the patient. Essential caregivers will be required to wear a mask at all times. If they are unable to wear a mask due to medical reasons, they must discuss with the medical / care team regarding other options.
Exceptions for visitors may be allowed for compassionate reasons, like childbirth or palliative care. We will allow one (1) visitor for these reasons. These visitors will be identified in advance and pre-screened by phone before coming to the hospital.
In order to ensure the safety of our patients and staff, visitors are not allowed in the Emergency Department at this time.
To our new moms who are coming to QCH to have their new baby: congratulations. Please read this message and know that we are keeping you safe.
If you have a scheduled appointment
Please arrive no earlier than 30 minutes in advance of your scheduled appointment to allow for screening as you may experience delays. Patients are asked to wear a mask and use hand sanitizer. We will take you or you will be directed to your appointment, where we will talk about options for your care. If you have a support person, and he or she shows any symptoms during the screening process, they will not be allowed to come into the building. If you are unable to safely be in the hospital on your own, you may be required to reschedule your appointment.
Some of our entrances will be closed. Access to the hospital will only be through 4 doors:
- Main entrance
- 6:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. (0600-2330 hours)
- James Beach entrance for Dialysis patients and ambulatory care patients only
- 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (0600-1800 hours)
- Cancer Centre (IGFCC) Main Level
- 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (0600-1800 hours)
- Emergency Department Entrance – restricted to Emergency patients only
- Open 24 hours
Stay well - wash your hands!