Patient Bill of Rights & Responsibilities
Declaration of Patient Values
In Harmony with the QCH Mission, Vision and Values
Queensway Carleton Hospital’s Patient Bill of Rights and Responsibilities represents important guiding principles and behaviours that our staff will strive to achieve in their relationships with patients, their families and representatives.
I have the right to:
Receive all facts about my diagnosis and prognosis in a language or means that I understand -- so I can make informed decisions about my treatment and discharge
- Ask questions freely
- Make decisions in collaboration with my family/care partner
- Be listened to, have my views heard and actively participate in my care
- Refuse treatment and/or get a second opinion (except as directed by Public Health
- Be treated with dignity, respect and receive equitable, compassionate treatment
- Be treated in a safe environment
- Have my privacy and confidentiality protected and know my information will not be shared without my permission or discussed in public places
I am responsible for:
Providing my health care team with accurate information about past and present illnesses, my current health and medications, as well as any changes in my condition
- Being respectful and courteous and refraining from verbally or physically abusing others
- Respecting the rights, property, privacy and diversity of all
- Complying with the rules and practices of the hospital
- Paying all costs not covered by insurance
- My personal belongings
- Protecting my personal health information when using the patient portal or in virtual meetings.
QCH Patient Relations is available to discuss any concerns you feel have not been resolved by your care team. email@example.com or 613-721-2000 ext. 5655.
Maintaining Quality of Care
Here is more information on your rights and opportunities as a patient, family or caregiver.
Patient-Owned Electrical Equipment
Disclosure of Adverse Event
Management of Patient Valuables & Belongings
ICU Care Partner Policy
Care Partner and Visitor Policy
Photography and Videotaping Policy
Keeping Patients Safe From Abuse
Reporting Sexual Abuse